Update Sony Xperia Z Ultra to Android 6.0 Marshmallow AOSP Custom Firmware
Sony is not going to release Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for the Xperia Z Ultra handsets in form of an official OTA. But Xperia Z Ultra users can still taste the sweetness of latest 6.0 Marshmallow by installing a custom firmware. This ROM is based on AOSP which is very closed to the Nexus devices that was already rolled-out for Nexus devices via OTA a few days ago. So if you are interested to get this AOSP 6.0 Marshmallow on your Xperia Z Ultra then you’ll be glad to know that this is a stable build which is enough for a daily use and you can flash it on your device anytime.
Many users have tested this ROM and found it very smooth but as this is an initial release thus you might face some minor issues with camera app although it doesn’t have any major bugs such as force close or system crashes. But don’t worry the developers are busy to make this ROM bugs free soon. Now go ahead and install Android 6.0 custom ROM on your Xperia Z Ultra to experience a faster and a better UI as well as you will be able to removing bloatware, adding many features, overclock CPU frequencies and much more to optimize and customize all its performances.
This guide containing the AOSP 6.0 Marshmallow ROM and instructions can be used only with Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Do not try to install this firmware on any other device or incorrect variant. First, verify the model number of your handset.
AndroidBlog.GS will not be held liable for any kind of damage occurred to your Xperia Z Ultra during or after the installation of AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom firmware. This custom ROM will the void the warranty of your device. Proceed at your own risk.
Before Getting Started:
- It is highly recommended to take a proper backup of all your important data and settings like contacts list, call logs, text messages, images, videos, audio files, market apps, internet setting etc before proceeding to the installation guide.
- Download and install Sony USB Drivers on your PC.
- Navigate to Settings> Developer options in order to enable USB Debugging option on your Xperia Z Ulta.
- The Bootloader of your phone should unlocked to flash the packages using fastboot
- Download SDK Package and set up ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- The latest version of a custom recovery should be installed on your device that will be required to flash Google apps and SuperSU.
- Check the battery level of your device, it should be charged at least about 70% to avoid unexpected shutdowns while installation.
- Download Android 6.0 Marshmallow AOSP Custom ROM
- Download Google Apps Package (Gapps)
- Download Mini Google Apps
- Download SuperSU v2.52 (File: BETA-SuperSU-v2.52.zip (3.8 MB))
Steps to Flash Android 6.0 Marshmallow AOSP Custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z Ultra:
Step No 1:- First, download Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM (boot.img, cache.img, system.img and userdata.img) from the above given link on the desktop of your PC.
Step No 2:- Plug your Z Ultra with your PC using its USB data cable.
Step No 3:- Ensure that the ADB and fasboot are configured properly on your PC. Also accept Always allow from this computer while connecting the phone for the 1st time to enable USB Debugging.
Step No 4:- Turn OFF your Xperia Z Ultra in order to boot into bootloader mode/fastboot mode.
Step No 5:- Now, turn the phone ON while pressing and holding Volume Up and connect your device to the PC using USB cable. The bootloader screen will be appeared and choose fastboot if available.
Step No 6:- Next, go to the folder where you have saved the downloaded image files and from there open a command prompt window (press and hold the Shift keyboard key while right clicking on any blank space.) Type the following command and hit enter to check the connectivity of your phone:
Step No 7:- Give the given following commands to install the ROM:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
Step No 8:- This process will take some time, so be patient and wait for the process to be finished successfully. Once the process is completed, your device will be rebooted automatically.
Step No 9:- Your Xperia Z Ultra will take about 4-5 minutes while booting for the first time after installation.
Step No 10:- Once done, put your Sony Xperia Z Ultra into recovery mode to perform a factory reset.
Step No 11:- Boot the device into TWRP recovery and flash the Google Apps package.
Step No 12:- Flash the SuperSU package using TWRP recovery that you have already downloaded from the above link.
Done! You can now enjoy the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your Sony Xperia Z Ultra.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any question or trouble while following the above step-by-step guide.