Android 5.1 Lollipop has been released for the Moto X 2014 (2nd Gen), thanks to the Sonic-Developers for the custom release of Sonic Open Kang Project (SOKP). The build version of this SOKP ROM is LMY47I which is based on the latest Lollipop firmware. SOKP ROM is CyanogenMod based and comes with the selected features taken from many popular Android ROMs like AOKP, SLIM, AOSPA, AICP, BeanStalk and LiquidSmooth etc. So Moto X users can enjoy now the Android 5.1 Lollipop build LMY47I via SOKP ROM by following the given detailed guide to enjoy the inbuilt options and settings to customize the device.
No doubt that stock ROMs are good but custom builds comes with more features, improvements, customizations as well as multitasking performance and optimum speed. Please note that the SOKP ROM is currently in its testing stages, thus all its features might not functioning properly. If you are ready to get this ROM on your Moto X then go ahead to taste its awesome features like Real True-HD DTS Sound and brilliant HD Display optimizations. Here we’ve listed the basic features of SOKP ROM:
- ROM OS version: 5.1.x Lollipop
- ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- Status: Testing
- Build date: 31 March
Sonic Open Kang Project (SOKP) Features:
- Various bug fixes compared to Goggle AOSP
- Material Dark UI
- Advanced Mode in Settings
- Configurable Custom colours in Battery Saver Mode
- On The Spot
- On Screen navigation bar switch
- Navigation Bar left handed mode in Landscape Mode
- Configurable navigation bar Height
- Navigation Bar button colour
- Materialized toast frames
- Disable FC dialogues
- Materialized Text Select handle
- Smooth Upload and Download Animations
- Fix for Battery Status wakelock
- Status bar left clock
- Customizable battery icon
- Status bar Notification Counts
- Double tap to sleep option in status bar
- Status bar brightness control
- Quick pull-down
- Weather above Quick settings
- Quick Settings customizations
- Configurable Power menu
- Configurable Multi-user accounts
- Customizable device wake-up with home, volume buttons
- Customizable long press action and double tap action
- Option to reorient volume button when screen rotates
- Customizable lock screen slider short-cuts
- Glow-pad double tap gesture
- Wake Lock Blocker
- Customizable Navigation Bar and Navigation Rings
- CyanogenMod themes with customizable styles, icons, fonts boot animation, sound packs, etc
- Custom Profile switcher
- Expanded desktop
- Customizable advanced display with Scenario, night mode
- Notification Light
- Screen Caster
- CPU and Memory Info in Settings>>About
- Custom Volume steps
- Ascending Phone ring tones
- Privacy Guard
- Mock Location and Mock SMS
- Adoptive Back light
- Beautiful SOKP fonts system wide
- Apex launcher as default launcher
- Own custom DTS audio system with support of Dolby Digital Plus customizable equalizer which can be used for system wide sound control (Will be merged soon)
- Inbuilt Meta on powered performance boost by Spike lab
The Android 5.1 SOKP ROM and instructions given in this guide are only working with the Moto X 2014. Do not try to install this SOKP custom firmware on any other device or incorrect variant. Check the model number of your device if it is Moto X 2014 then go ahead, otherwise not.
AndroidBlog.GS will not be held responsible for any kind of damage or mishap occurred to the Moto X 2014 during or after the installation of Android 5.1 Lollipop via SOKP ROM. Proceed at your own risk.
Before Getting Started:
- Take a proper backup of all your existing data and settings before proceeding to the ROM installation guide using a recommended custom recovery like CWM or TWRP.
- Download and install the correct USB Drivers for the Moto X 2014 on the PC.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on your device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options.
- Your device should be rooted with a custom recovery like CWM recovery installed on it.
- Recommended custom recovery: TWRP Recovery
- The bootloader of the Moto X must be unlocked.
- Make sure that the battery level of your device should be charged at least about 80%.
How to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop based SOKP ROM on Moto X (2nd Gen):
Follow the given step-by-step guide to install Android 5.1 on Moto X 2014 with SOKP ROM:
Step No 1:- First, download the Android 5.1 Lollipop SOKP ROM (SOKP-L-5.1-LMY47I–20150331-victara.zip) and Google Apps from the above links in a folder on the desktop of your PC.
Step No 2:- Connect the Moto X using USB data cable and copy the downloaded files to the internal storage of the device.
Step No 3:- Disconnect your phone and and boot into Recovery Mode.
Step No 4:- While your device is now in TWRP recovery, create a Nandroid backup.
- Select Backup
- Do a swipe on the Swipe to Back Up option.
Step No 5:- Next, perform a full wipe including Dalvik Cache, Cache, System and Factory Data Reset.
Step No 6:- Once done, go back to the main menu of Recovery and select Install.
Step No 7:- Navigate to the SOKP Android 5.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file that you’ve already transferred to the internal memory of the phone. Select it and swipe the Swipe to Confirm Flash option to begin the installation process.
Step No 8:- Go back to the main recovery menu and select Reboot > System after the installation is completed.
Step No 9:- Now, install Google Apps on your Moto X 2014 by repeating the above steps.
Step No 10:- Reboot the Moto X.
It is recommended to wait for a while about 5 to 10 minutes for the first setup. If a black screen appears after 10 minutes then reboot the device and it will automatically start normally.
Done! You’ve successfully updated Moto X to Android 5.1 Lollipop based SOKP ROM.
It is recommended that after the ROM is installed, give about ten minutes to the ROM once the Mot X boots up for the first time.
If your Moto X gets stuck on booting animation / boot loop after the ROM installation, then perform wipe dalvik cache and wipe cache partition for a few times before rebooting the device.
Tell us in the comments section below if you have any query or trouble while installing the SOKP ROM featuring Android 5.1 Lollipop on Moto X 2014.