The latest HTC’s flagship, HTC One M8 received SkyDragon Android 5.0.1 Lollipop custom ROM. Every user having HTC One M8 will surely want to get the latest Android updates, while Lollipop is currently under development but you can install Android 5.0.1 with SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM based on stock Android 5.0.1 update, which is released by the XDA developer, HolyAngel. If you can’t wait for the official HTC update, then you can diffidently enjoy the sweetness of Lollipop on HTC One M8 with Android 5.0.1 custom firmware.
SkyDragon ROM comes with many customizations and stock experiences like root features with SuperSU and some bugs of the previous version also have been fixed. So if you have HTC One M8 and want to update it to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM version 4.2.1 Custom ROM to enhances its performance and improve battery life then go ahead and follow the given guide.
This is just a custom ROM which is not officially released by HTC. Thus some bugs might exist. You’ll need a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP to flash this ROM on your device.
AndroidBlog.gs will not be held responsible for any damage occurred to your device before or after the installation of this SkyDragon Android 5.0.1 Lollipop custom firmware on your HTC One M8. SkyDragon Google Play Edition ROM v4.2.1 works only with HTC One M8 GSM. Installing this on any other variant might brick the device. Proceed at your risk.
- Make sure to take a proper backup (Nandroid Backup in Recovery) of all your existing data before proceeding to the installation guide on your phone because all the data will be wiped out on the internal storage.
- The bootloader of HTC One M8 should be unlocked. Otherwise, you won’t be able to install custom ROMs.
- Your device should be rooted.
- Download and install correct HTC One M8 USB Drivers on your PC.
- The latest custom recovery like Philz recovery should be installed on your HTC One M8.
(Please note that 6.25.x is recommended. Do not use 6.41.x+)
- The battery level of your phone should above 75%.
SkyDragon ROM Details:
- Android Version: L – 5.0.1 Official
- Firmware base: 3.11.1700.2
- ROM Version: SD GPE v4.2.1
- Built from %100 stock and clean base
- Init.d Built-in
- Busybox Built-in
- Rooted with SuperSU
- Zip-aligned on boot
- SQLite optimisation on boot
- Build.prop tweaks
- System R/W
- Stock Kernel Rooted
- Aroma Installer
- Optional GPS Location Selection
- Optional Apps
- GAPP Removal
- Font Selection
SkyDragon v4.2.1 Changelog:
- Updated HTC Gallery to latest
- Updated skydragon kernel to 3.0.4
- Update High Performance Sound
- Added Lyapota’s Modpack v006
- Fixed SDCard write permission
- Updated aroma for all the things
- Added fixed up Housekeeping script
- Tweaked 96Tweaks script for screen mirroring
Steps to Update HTC One M8 to SkyDragon 5.0.1 Lollipop Custom ROM (Google Play Edition ROM v4.2.1):
Follow the given steps to install SkyDragon v4.2.1 based on stock Android 5.0.1 Lollipop custom firmware:-
Step No 1: – First, extract the downloaded SkyDragon Android 5.0.1 ROM (SkyDragon+GPE501+V4.2.1.zip) for HTC One (M8) on the PC to get boot.img file.
Step No 2: – Plug your HTC One M8 with your PC using USB Data Cable and mount USB Mass Memory.
Step No 3: – Transfer the Android 5.0.1 ROM .zip file to the root folder of SD card on your phone.
Step No 4: – Now transfer the boot.img file to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory on the PC.
Step No 5: – Then Power Off the HTC One M8 in order to boot it into the Bootloader/Fastboot Mode.
Step No 6: – Power On your phone while pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons together.
Step No 7: – While the phone is now in Fastboot mode, navigate to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and launch Command Prompt.
Step No 8: – Type these following given commands one by one and hit Enter.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
9: – Finally, follow the on-screen instructions and select Bootloader and choose Recovery.
Step No 10: – In ClockworkMod Recovery, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition and dalvik cache as well by going to Advanced and select wipe dalvik cache.
Step No 11: – Go back to the main Recovery Menu and select “install zip from SD card”
Step No 12: – Navigate to “choose zip from sdcard”. Locate the Android 5.0.1 ROM zip file using Volume Key, which you have already transferred to SD card. Select it using the Power button and confirm the installation to begin.
13:- Go to “+++++Go Back+++++” once the installation completes.
Step No 14: – Restart the device by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu.
Your HTC One M8 will take about 4 to 5 minutes to boots up for the first time after installation.
Done! You’ve successfully installed SkyDragon Android 5.0.1 Lollipop custom ROM on your HTC One M8.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch via comments section below if you have any query or facing issues while updating your One.