Rooting your android device isn’t a good idea, since it means breaking out of the security model for your device. However if you are insistent on using some really cool apps or tricks and tweaks that require rooting, you could think of doing so. But to do so, you need to have a little know how of your operating system.
Root access does allow you many useful things. From being able to remove the unwanted pre-installed apps on your device to being able to use certain really cool apps.
There are various methods to perform root on your device. There are one-click apps like Kingo Root and Towelroot available for free. They provide you a fast and convenient method to root almost any android device in just one click. You do not necessarily have to connect your mobile to a computer even.
However, the most common method of rooting your device is the TWRP method. It is not a one-click program, but you perform every step yourself so you learn better how things work. This will also help you to troubleshoot in case something goes wrong.
So lets get started:
- First of all, you need to unlock your phone’s bootloader using the official way. This has been discussed in detail in this article.
- Now you need to install the TWRP recovery environment. This has been discussed in detail in this article.
- Now we will use a program, SuperSU, which enables us to grant root access to other apps.
- Download the latest version of SuperSU from here. Download the .zip file to your computer.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable, then drag the SuperSU zip to your phone’s internal storage or SD card.
- Now reboot your phone into TWRP recovery mode. This will be different for different phones. For majority of the phones, you will need to hold the power and volume down buttons together. Then you need to boot ‘Recovery mode’ using the volume keys.
- After this, you will see the TWRP home screen with a list of available options. Select the ‘Install’ option.
- You will now see a list from which select the SuperSU ZIP file which you had transferred in the previous steps. When you click on it, you will see a bar at the bottom that says ‘Swipe to confirm the flash’. Swipe it.
- The SuperSU package will flash in an instant.When it is done, tap on the ‘Wipe cache/Dalvik’ button at the bottom.
- Now tap on the ‘Reboot System’ button at the bottom, to go back to Android.
- TWRP might ask you if you want to install SuperSU now. That is because TWRP can detect that you have a SuperSU, so it might ask to flash its built-in version. But the best option is to manually install the latest version of SuperSU, which we have just done. Therefore, when TWRP asks you, select the ‘Do Not Install’ button.
- You are all done!
You May Also Like:
Granting Root Access with the SuperSU App:
- Reboot your phone.
- In your list of apps, you will now see the icon for the SuperSU app. This app will now control that which apps on your phone should be granted root access. Whenever an app wants to request root access, it has to ask the SuperSU app first. The SuperSU app will then display a request prompt asking for your permission.
- Open the SuperSU icon to grant or deny apps the permission to access root. Click on the particular app to change its permission.
Checking Root Status:
- To see if the root on your device is working properly, you can download the free app, Root Checker. It will enable you to verify your rooted status.
- Moreover, to check whether your device has been rooted properly, you can also try downloading those apps which require root access. If the SuperSU asks you permission, that means you have been successful in rooting your device.