Google Pixel XL is one of the latest and great smartphone that can be even more better by performing a few dedicated tweaking operations such as replacing the stock recovery image with a custom software to unleash the authentic latent of your Google Pixel XL. Android system is an open source platform, and you can easily customize it. In this guide, we’ll let you know that how to flash TWRP recovery on your Pixel XL. TWRP allows you to easily access the internal Android file system running on your Google Pixel XL. As you know that with TWRP recovery you won’t have to deal with stock/default restrictions along with the classic operations that can be performed via recovery mode.
TWRP recovery is based on CWM recovery that brings useful built-in features, friendlier UI and settings that can improve your Google Pixel XL experience. You can now install TWRP recovery on the Google Pixel XL without losing root access with ease.
Now go ahead and follow the given guide to install TWRP recovery on the Google Pixel XL to a rooted system that wasn’t possible due to some additional restrictions added by Google. After flashing TWRP custom recovery on your Google Pixel you can:
- Make Nandroid backups
- Install custom kernels for speeding up things
- Flashing custom ROMs
- Overclocking CPU frequencies for upgrading the battery life.
AndroidBlog.GS will not be held responsible for any damage occurred to your Google Pixel XL during or after the installation of TWRP custom recovery. Please keep in mind that replacing the stock recovery with TWRP recovery isn’t an official process so that you will lose the warranty of your Google Pixel.
Before Getting Started:
- Take a proper backup of all your important data like your contacts, call logs, texts, images, videos and audio files on Google Pixel XL before starting the flashing process. It is recommended to keep everything safe and secured by syncing your files with your account.
- A Windows-based PC will be required for this process to install the Google Pixel XL USB drivers and the Android SDK toolkit.
- The bootloader of your phone should be unlocked, otherwise, you’ll not be able to flash the TWRP.
- Enable USB Debugging option by navigating to Menu – Settings – Developer Options.
- The battery level of your Google Pixel XL smartphone should be at least about 70% to avoid unexpected shutdowns during installation.
Steps to Flash TWRP Recovery on Google Pixel XL:
Step No 1: Download the TWRP Fastboot image, the flashable TWRP installer and the SuperSU package from the above given links on the desktop of your PC.
Step No 2: Next, choose the Fastboot TWRP image and copy/paste it to the same folder as ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
Step No 3: Turn ON your Google Pixel XL and connect it to the PC using its USB data cable.
Step No 4: Move the TWRP flashable zip file and the SuperSU package to your Google Pixel XL.
Step No 5: Navigate to the ADB and Fastboot folder on your PC and within that folder open a cmd window and type this command to automatically rebooted into bootloader mode on your phone.
adb reboot bootloader
Step No 6: Now, type the following command and hit Enter to boot your phone into TWRP recovery:
fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-alpha1-fastboot-marlin.img
Step No 7: From there, tap on Install and load the TWRP recovery .zip file. Swipe to begin the flashing process.
Step No 8: When done, reboot your phone.
Step No 9: Finally, go back to the main menu of Recovery and install the SuperSU root exploit.
Step No 10: Once the SuperSU root exploit is installed, reboot your Google Pixel XL.
If you face a boot loop issue, then make a wipe by selecting “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition.
Done! You have successfully installed TWRP recovery on your Google Pixel XL, and you can now reboot your phone into recovery mode.
Let us know in the comments section below if you have any question regarding flashing custom TWRP recovery on your Google Pixel XL.