Recently Motorola rolled out the official firmware update based on Android 7.0 Nougat for the Moto G4 Plus. This device is the first one to receive Android N update. If you have not updated it yet, then you can update now by following our guide How to Update Moto G4 plus to Android 7.0 Nougat Build NPJ25.93-11. If you want to flash TWRP recovery on Moto G4 plus after installing Nougat 7.0, then you are at the right place. This process allows you to enhance your Moto G4 plus performance and also you will have full control and admin rights on your device.
You can easily root and install TWRP recovery on your Moto G4 plus by following this step by step guide. Once you root and install TWRP recovery then you can install any custom ROM, install any third party application on your phone. But before you root Moto G4 Plus on Nougat, you need to unlock its bootloader. Root access is entirely unofficial, and you will lose the device’s warranty. Before proceeding don’t forget to take a full backup of all your valuable data. If you are interested in rooting and installing TWRP recovery on your Moto G4 Plus, then you can follow the given steps.
- As always make a proper backup of all your Contents, Contacts, Call Logs, SMS, MMS and APN Settings, etc
- Enable USB Debugging on your Moto G4 plus by going to Settings > Developer options.
- Download and Install Motorola USB Drivers on your PC.
- Your Moto G4 plus Bootloader must be unlocked. Here is the official method on Motorola portal
- Setup Android SDK on your PC to get ADB and Fastboot working.moto
- Download unofficial TWRP recovery image Moto G4 plus_TWRP 18.104.22.168 Recovery
- Download the latest SuperSU package UPDATE-SuperSU-vx.xx.zip
- Open SuperSU file without unzipping→ find and open “config.txt” file inside.
- Find “eng verity crypt” text in the file→ then replace it with “eng noverity nocrypt”.
- Save and close the file.
Steps To Root Moto G4 plus and Install TWRP Recovery
Step No 1: First of all transfer the SuperSU zip package to your Moto G4 plus that you have already downloaded from the above link.
Step No 2: Now rename Moto G4 plus TWRP Recovery file to recovery.img.
Step No 3: Move recovery.img to platform-tools folder in the Android SDK folder.
Step No 4: After moving the image to Android SDK folder, connect Moto G4 plus to your PC via USB cable.
Step No 5: Now launch a command prompt window from inside the platform-tools folder and type the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
Step No 6: After the bootloader screen appears on the screen of your Moto G4 plus, type this command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Step No 7: When the recovery is flashed to the device, give the following command:
Step No 8: Just reboot your Mote E into recovery mode to flash SuperSU by giving this command:
adb reboot recovery
9: Simply tap on the Install option in TWRP, browse UPDATE-SuperSU-vx.xx.zip where you’ve transferred. Select it.
It will take some time, wait till it’s flashed after confirming the installation.
Step No 10: Now you’ll need to reboot your Moto G4 plus by navigating to Reboot > System option.
Congrats! Your Moto G4 plus is now rooted, and TWRP Recovery is installed on it successfully. To confirm that either your Moto G4 plus is properly rooted or not, download and install the Root Checker app from the Play Store.
Let us know if you have any question or query about the above steps to root Moto G4 plus and the installation of TWRP Recovery.