How To Install TWRP 3.0 Custom Recovery on Xiaomi Mi3
TWRP stands for TeamWin Recovery Project which is required to flash install third party ROMs and packages on Android phones. In this guide, we’ll let you know that how to install TWRP custom Recovery version 3.0 on Xiaomi Mi3 that will allow you to modify the system partitions, install third party ROMs and packages on your Mi 3. You can install TWRP 3.0.0 custom recovery on Xiaomi Mi3 smartphone very quickly. TWRP 3.0.0 custom recovery brings some unusual changes as well as well modified design with a more streamlined and minimalist look.
Before proceeding to the installation guide, make sure that the bootloader of your Mi 3 phone is unlocked. Also, don’t forget to take proper backup of all your important data on your Xiaomi Mi3 before starting the process to install TWRP 3.0.0 Recovery on Mi 3. So if you want to enjoy all the awesome themes, apps, custom ROMs, mods and flashing official firmware updates then proceed to the given steps.
TWRP Recovery 3.0.0 Details (Xiaomi Mi 3):
According to the TWRP Recovery on the official website:
Team Win Recovery Project 2.x, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.
Here we’ve given a list of some main features of TWRP Recovery:
- Ability to save custom recovery settings
- Default partitions to back up
- Default zip folder location
- Default colour theme (lots to choose from) (Thanks to folks!)
- Default Time Zone (for more accurate time stamps)
- Zip Signature Verification
- Zip md5 Verification (looks for file with zipping name.zip.md5)
- Ability to flash multiple zips in one go
- Ability to select which individual partitions to backup, and restore.
- Ability to choose compression or no compression backups.
- Compression takes longer of course, but you save roughly half the space. EVO3D’s stock system uncompressed is ~800mb, 380mb compressed. You choose.
- Ability to auto restore GAPPS on zipping flash (for CM based ROMS)
- Ability to auto reboot after successful flashes (for the lazy)
- Some devices utilise their capacitive buttons in recovery.
- Home – Main Menu
- Menu – Advanced Menu
- Back – Up a Menu Level
- Search – Select Current Selection
- Battery Level and Timestamp
The instructions given in this guide to install TWRP 3.0.0 can be used for Xiaomi Mi3. If you are facing issue to connect your phone to the PC, then try to re-install the USB drivers correctly.
Before Getting Started:
- Make a complete backup of all your existing data like SMS, MMS, Call Logs, Contacts and Media files, etc.
- Enable USB Debugging option on your phone by navigating to Settings -> Developer Options -> Check “USB debugging” from there.
- Ensure that the battery level of your phone is about 70-80% to avoid unexpected shutdowns during installation.
- This TWRP Recovery can be used only for unlocked Xiaomi Mi 3. Please don’t try this on any other devices.
- Installing TWRP recovery will void the warranty of your phone.
- Fastboot / ADB must be installed and configured on your computer.
- The bootloader of your Xiaomi Mi3 should be unlocked.
Xiaomi Mi 3 USB Drivers:
You’ll need Xiaomi Mi3 USB drivers while connecting your phone to the computer. Please keep in mind that the correct USB drivers are installed on your computer. You can simply download the latest official drivers from the following link.
Steps to Install TWRP 3.0.0 Recovery on Mi 3:
Follow the given step-by-step guide on how to install TWRP recovery on Xiaomi Mi 3.
Step No 1: – First, download Android SDK from the Android Developers website. Install and setup ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step No 2: – Also, setup with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK.
Step No 3: – Power OFF your Mi3 and connect it to the PC using its USB data cable.
Step No 4: – Download TWRP (twrp-3.0.0-0-cancro.img) and place it in the same directory where you have extracted Fastboot/ADB package files on your PC.
Step No 5: – Go to Fastboot/Bootloader Mode on Mi 3 by pressing and holding Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons at the same for a while. Your Mi3 phone is now in Bootloader Mode.
Step No 6: – Open the Fastboot directory on Windows and run Command Prompt within the folder.
Step No 7: – Type in the following command and hit Enter.
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.0-0-cancro.img
Step No 8: – Once the flashing process is completed, select Recovery from the Fastboot menu and enter into Recovery Mode.
Done! You have installed TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Mi3, and you can choose whatever function you want to perform on your phone.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any issues or question while installing TWRP 3.0.0 custom recovery on your Mi3.