Android 5.1 Lollipop build LMY47I update has been rolled out for Google’s flagship handsets Nexus 5 and Nexus 6. These Nexus devices can be updated to this latest build via official factory images. The new Android 5.1 Lollipop with build LMY47I brings a a minor bug-fix update which is related to SIM card handling issue (present in previous update). Now according to Android Police it has multiple-carrier support has been added as well. But some critical issues like an aggressive process killer, the unexpected battery drain and infamous memory leak issue with Lollipop has not been addressed in this update. Checkout the complete list of changes ported in this latest Lollipop build from here. All Nexus devices running either stock or custom ROM based on Android 5.0 Lollipop can be upgraded to this Lollipop build LMY47I using the official factory images.
So if you can’t wait for the official release of Android 5.1 OTA in your region then don’t worry we’ve a detailed step by step guide for interested users to get the latest Lollipop firmware with build number LMY47I via official factory image on the Nexus 5 or Nexus 6.
This guide containing the download links and instructions are working with only Nexus 5 and Nexus 6. Do not try to install these files on any other device or incorrect variant. Check the model number of your device from Settings > About Phone.
AndroidBlog.gs will not be responsible for any kind of damage or mishap occurred to your Nexus 5/Nexus 6 during or after the installation of Android 5.1 build LMY47I via official factory images. Proceed at your own risk.
- Make sure that the battery life of your Nexus device is charged at least about 80% before proceeding to the installation guide.
- Download and install proper USB drivers for the Nexus device on the PC. (Nexus 5 USB Drivers / Nexus 6 USB Drivers).
- It is highly recommended to take a proper back up of your important data and settings on the phone using a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP. In case anything goes wrong then you’ll be able to restore your data.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on Nexus 5/6 from Settings > Developer Options.
- The Nexus device should be rooted with the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery installed.
- The bootloader of your phone should be unlocked.
- Android 5.1 Lollipop Build LMY47I Factory Image for Nexus 5
- Android 5.1 Lollipop Build LMY47I Factory Image for Nexus 6
Steps to Install Android 5.1 Lollipop Build LMY47I on Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 via Factory Images:
1:- First of all, download the appropriate Android 5.1 Lollipop Stock Factory Image on the desktop of your PC for the Nexus device.
2:- Plug the Nexus device via its USB data cable to the PC.
3:- Make sure that you’ve properly installed and configured Fastboot on your PC. how to?.
4:- Turn OFF the device in order to boot into Fastboot/Bootloader Mode.
5:- Turn ON your phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys at the same time till the START icond and Fastboot menu appear.
Step No 6:– Type the following command and hit enter to unlock the device’s bootloader:
fastboot oem unlock
7:- Unzip the downloaded factory image file to a folder on the desktop of your computer.
8:- Navigate to the folder where you have placed the extracted factory image file (hammerhead-LMY47I or Shamu-LMY47I)
9:- Move all the files to the Fastboot directory.
10:- Run the following given command to use the factory image files in your Fastboot directory:
- Windows Users: Run the file “flash-all.bat”.
- Mac Users: Run the file “flash-all.sh” using Terminal.
- Linux Users: Run the file “flash-all.sh”.
10:- This process may take some time, so wait for the installation process to be completed successfully or if you are prompted to unlock the bootloader then follow the on-screen instructions on the phone.
12:- Your Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 device will reboot after the installation is completed.
The phone may take about 4 to 5 minutes while booting up for the first time after installation.
Done! You’ve successfully updated Nexus 5 / Nexus 6 to the official Android 5.1 Lollipop update with build LMY47I using Google’s stock factory images.
Let us know in the comments section below if you have any query or issue while installing he official Android 5.1 Lollipop build LMY47I on your Nexus device.