Shamu (Nexus 6) received the latest Android 5.1.1 OTA Lollipop firmware as Google has rolled-out the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for the Nexus 6 devices. The build number of this update is LMY47Z which is now available for the Motorola Shamu (Nexus 6) that includes US 3G, Sprint and International variants.
This latest Lollipop firmware required build LMY47D to be updated with LMY47Z for the above mentioned models while the T-Mobile (US) variant gets updated from LMY47M to LYZ28E. So if you have not received the official Lollipop OTA update notification yet or can’t install the software update automatically due to some reasons then we have a detailed guide on how to install Android 5.1.1 (LMY47Z or LYZ28E) OTA firmware on Nexus 6 manually.
This guide containing the Android 5.1.1 OTA update and instructions can used for the Nexus 6 devices only. Do not try to install the firmware on any other devices or incorrect variants. Check the device’s model number before proceeding to the installation guide.
AndroidBlog.GS will not be held responsible for any kind of damage or lose occurred to your Nexus 6 during or after the installation of Android 5.1.1 Lollipop LMY47Z or LYZ28E. Proceed at your own risk.
Before Getting Started:
- Make sure that the battery life of your Nexus device is charged at least about 80% before proceeding to the installation guide.
- Download and install proper USB drivers for the Nexus device on the PC. (Nexus 6 USB Drivers).
- It is highly recommended to take a proper back up of your important data and settings on the phone using a custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP. In case anything goes wrong then you’ll be able to restore your data.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on Nexus 6 from Settings > Developer Options.
- The Nexus device should be rooted with the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery installed.
- The bootloader of your phone should be unlocked.
- Download Android SDK from the Android Development site and configure it correctly. [How to]
Steps to Update Nexus 6 to Android 5.1.1 build LMY47Z or LYZ28E using adb sideload:
Step No 1:- First download the Android 5.1.1 LMY47Z OTA update file on your PC from the above link.
Step No 2:- Move the OTA file to the Platform-Tools directory.
The adb and fastboot files are located in the Paltform-Tools directory.
Step No 3:- Connect your Nexus 6 to the PC using its USB data cable, then type and enter the following command to verify that the device is connected properly to the PC with the device’s serial number.
Step No 4:- Turn OFF the Nexus 6 to boot into Bootloader mode or Recovery mode.
Step No 5:- Turn ON the phone while pressing and holding the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time or type and enter this command to boot into Bootloader / Recovery Mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Press the Volume Down buttons twice until you have scrolled to Recovery mode.
- Press the Power button to select it.
- Hold the Power button and press the Volume Up button to enter into Recovery Mode.
Step No 6: While the Nexus 6 is in Android system recovery, highlight apply update from ADB using the Volume Down key and then select is with the Power key.
Step No 7:- Next, enter the following command:
adb sideload [OTA File].zip
Step No 8:- The progress of transferring the update to your Nexus 6 will be shown in command prompt. The phone will be automatically rebooted and boot to normal mode after the update is completed.
Done! You’ve successfully updated Nexus 6 to the latest Android 5.1.1 LMY47Z or LYZ28E stock firmware manually.
Let us know in the comments area below if you have any trouble or question regarding the above instructions to install Android 5.1.1 LMY47Z or LYZ28E stock firmware on Nexus 6.